The Inspection/Construction Division of the Public Works Department strives to enhance the quality of life in Calabasas by providing the technical guidance necessary to maintain the City’s infrastructure while planning for future growth. Specifically, Inspection/Construction reviews the design and construction of grading and infrastructure plans for new development, manages surveying and design drawing records; administers flood plan services and other programs.
The Inspection/Construction division also issues Encroachment Permits, which are permits required for all work or placement of objects within the public works right of way. Permits help to protect the public and the contractor from unsafe conditions, ensure proper placement of materials in the right of way, prevent obstruction of underground facilities, protect against damage to existing facilities, guarantee that the work will be done in accordance with all applicable standards and specifications and establish quality control inspections.
The permit assures that all the work will be done in accordance with applicable design and construction standards as well as insurance requirements needed to safeguard the public interest. Any person working within the public right-of-way must obtain a permit from the City and maintain a copy of the permit on site at all times during construction.
To obtain an encroachment permit or if you would like additional information, please call 818-224-1600.
Public Works Policies & Procedures
- PW 103 - Special Restrictions for Issuance of Encroachment Permits on Major City Streets/Roads
- PW 104 - Utility Trench Steel Plate Requirements
- PW 105 - Pavement Cut Moratorium
- PW 105.1 - Listing of Streets Included In Pavement Cut Moratorium
- PW 106 - Trench Repair Within Paved Right-of-Way
- PW 107 - News racks Within City Rights-of-Way
- PW 108 - Placement of Trash Bins Within Public Right-of-Way
- PW 109 - Insurance Requirement for Work In Public Right-of-Way
- PW 110 - Instructions for Completing Encroachment Construction Permit by Applicant
Robert Yalda, P.E., T. E.
Public Works Director/City Engineer
Ben Chan, Deputy Public Works Director
Inspections / Construction Division
- Luis Hernandez, Senior Inspector
- Francisco Barbosa, Maintenance Technician
- Kevin Estrada, Maintenance Technician