The City Clerk oversees the Department and performs a wide variety of duties, many of which are mandated by law. City Clerk staff provide administrative support to the City Council and the City Manager.
The City Clerk provides internal support services for the operation of the City:
- Prepares and distributes City Council agendas and attends City Council meetings
- Records and communicates all Council legislative actions and proceedings in meetings, ordinances, resolutions, minutes
- Assures publication and posting of legal notices as mandated by State law
- Coordinates the execution of ordinances, resolutions, contracts, agreements, and other official documents approved by the City Council
- Conducts bid openings
- Accepts service of summons, subpoenas, and other legal documents on behalf of the City and its officials
- Coordinates recruitments for Commission appointments
- Staffs the main reception area for City Hall
- Coordinates the continuous codification of the Calabasas Municipal Code
- Administers the City’s records management program, manages the legislative history of the City
- Provides access to information and public records in compliance with the Public Records Act
- Conducts the annual update of the Local Appointments List (Maddy Act)
- Maintains and updates the City’s Conflict of Interest Code
- Maintains and preserves official City documents and records in accordance with Federal, State legal mandates and local policies
- Attests, seals, and/or certifies official documents
In compliance with the Political Reform Act, the City Clerk serves as the Local Filing Officer for the Fair Political Practices Commission (FPPC) and coordinates the filing of all campaign disclosure reports for all local candidates and campaign committees and Statements of Economic Interest (Form 700) for members of the City Council, designated employees, and Commissioners per the City’s Conflict of Interest Code. The City Clerk also facilitates biennial Ethics Training, for FPPC code filers, in compliance with AB 1234.
The City Clerk serves as the City’s Election Official and, in compliance with the California Elections Code, administers all municipal elections and performs oaths of office for elected and appointed officials.
Agendas and Minutes
Access current and archived City Council meeting videos with agendas, staff reports and minutes.
View public hearing notices for City Council and Commission meetings, commission vacancy notices, bid notices and other public notices regarding City business.
The California Public Records Act (Government Code Section 6250 et seq.) provides citizens with important rights to obtain access to records held by public agencies in the State. In order to respond to an increasing demand for documents, the City Clerk’s Office has prepared a policy to clarify the process by which the City will respond to requests for records under the Public Records Act. All requests for public records must be submitted to the City Clerk on the City’s Public Records Request form. Request forms will be accepted by fax (818) 225-7324, by email to email@example.com or in person.
Written approval must be obtained from both the property owner and the licensed professional architect before copies of building plans can be made. This form must be completed/submitted to the City Clerk’s Division.
Those wishing to pay for copies of records with a credit card, can do so by completing a credit card authorization form.
A Guide to the City Council Meeting Process
Download a guide to the City Council meeting process.
Download a claim form for damage to personal property.
Download an application for appointment to City commissions.
- Calabasas Municipal Code
- City Clerks Association of California (CCAC)
- International Institute of Municipal Clerks (IIMC)
- Los Angeles Registrar Recorder / County Clerk
- Register to Vote
- Secretary of State
City Clerk Staff
- Maricela Hernandez, MMC, CPMC, City Clerk
- Analuz Mendoza, Assistant to the City Clerk