Historic Place of the Month - August 2011

Congratulations to Ellen P. who was the first person to correctly guess that the August Historic Place of the Month was:

Kramerís Store

Kramerís Store is one of the oldest buildings in Old Town Calabasas.  One of Calabasasí early homesteading family, the Coopers, owned the store for many years. It has had many names including the Calabasas Grocery Store, Cooper's Store, and Hunter's Inn. According to the Cooper family, the building was originally a pie shop in East Los Angeles before it was moved to Brent's Junction (Ventura Road and Las Virgenes Road) in the 1890s. It was then brought to its present-day location around the turn of the century. Charles Cooper and his wife Alice Kimball ran the store when it was called Hunter's Inn. After Charles died in 1914, Alice married Lawrence Kramer. They operated the store, renamed Kramer's Grocery Store, until 1968. The property in succession then housed a saloon, restaurant, and antique store.

<- Back


City of Calabasas © 2017