Table of ContentsE-mailSearchHome



Building & Safety Home

Contact Building & Safety

FAQ's & Tips

Over the Counter Review

Plan Submittal Requirements

Permits Via Fax

Handouts & Forms

Inspection Requests

Related Links & Contacts

Planning Home

Code Enforcement

Your comments are
important to us

Counter Hours:

7:30AM - 5:30PM M-TH
7:30AM - 2:00PM F
(Except City Holidays)

Online Complaint Form

Please complete the following form to send your complaint via email to the City of Calabasas Code Enforcement Section.  All fields marked in italics are required to submit a complaint.


Today's Date

Your Name

Your Address

Your Telephone Number

Your Email  Address

You must provide your name, address and current telephone number so the Code Enforcement Unit can contact you to verify specific complaint information and/or to obtain further information, if needed.  Please understand that our office will NOT give out private information concerning any complainant to anyone, thereby allowing you to remain anonymous.

If you are complaining about an abandoned vehicle on public property including public roadways, please call the Lost Hills Sheriff’s Department at 818.878.1808.  The Code Enforcement Section can only investigate complaints regarding abandoned vehicles which are on private property.

Address for the Complaint / Problem:

Do you have knowledge of, or have you filed a complaint on this address before?
Yes    No

Complaint / Problem Description

Complaint Type (Please read the complaint descriptions below and mark as many as apply to your complaint).  You must scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the “Send My Complaint” Button to send your complaint via email to the City of Calabasas Code Enforcement Section.

All recreational vehicles, utility trailers, boats and trailers, etc. must be stored/parked in the rear yard whenever possible.  If the back is not accessible, they must be placed in the side yard or may be kept in the front, if they are at least ten feet back from the inside of the sidewalk or city right of way.

These signs may be placed on private property.  It is not permissible to place them on light poles, utility boxes or stop signs.  (Garage sales are also restricted to two a year, not more than two consecutive days).

Garage sale signs lead into part of the litter code, signs on public property or right of ways, obstruction of public ways and maintenance of adjacent right of ways.  Everyone has seen these types of signs littering the roadways.

17.30.040 Prohibited signs.

The following signs are inconsistent with the purposes and standards of this chapter, and are therefore prohibited:

A. Abandoned signs that advertise or otherwise identify a business or activity which has been discontinued on the premises for a period of ninety (90) days or more;

B. Animated, moving, flashing, blinking, reflecting, revolving, digital screen or any other similar moving or simulated moving signs;

C. Bus stop bench signs or any copy painted on any portion of a bus stop bench;

D. Billboards and other off-site signs, except where allowed by Section 17.30.030;

E. Cabinet (can) signs with translucent plastic faces and internal illumination;

F. Inflatable signs, pennants, streamers and flags, except where allowed by Section 17.30.030;

G. Permanent pole mounted signs except where allowed by Section 17.30.030;

H. Roof-mounted signs;

I. Signs on public property or in a public right-of-way, except as provided in Section 17.30.030(A) and (C);

J. Signs tacked, nailed, posted, pasted, glued or otherwise attached to trees, poles (including utility and street name), stakes, electrical transformers or other accessory structures. Whenever a sign is so posted, the sign itself shall constitute prima facie evidence that the person or business identified on the sign benefits by the sign placed and authorized the placement of the sign;

K. Signs painted on fences or roofs;

L. Signs that simulate in color or design a traffic sign or signal, or which make use of words, symbols or characters in a manner to interfere with, mislead or confuse pedestrian or vehicular traffic;

M. Temporary signs, including but not limited to “A” frame signs and sandwich boards (except as allowed by the chapter and in the Old Town area when permitted in compliance with the Old Town Master Plan); and

N. Temporary vehicle mounted or trailer-mounted signs. Signs on vehicles are allowed on vehicles, without sign permits, only when the copy or message relates only to the business or establishment of which the vehicle itself is a part; pertains to the sale, rent, lease or hiring of such vehicle; or is a noncommercial message. Vehicles displaying signs may not be parked in such a manner that they function primarily as commercial advertising devices. Vehicles may not be used as mounting or holding devices for commercial signs. This provision shall not apply to public transportation vehicles. (Ord. 2004-189 § 2 (part), 2004)

This code includes shrubs, trees, flowers and bushes that grow over sidewalks obstructing pedestrian traffic.  Owners/occupants are ordered to trim back these different growths.  If there is no compliance, it is turned over for contract abatement.  If the offensive vegetation is within the actual City or public right of way, the complaint is referred to the Landscape Department. 


8.20.040 Public nuisances.

In addition to all activities that fall within the general definition of a public nuisance, the following activities shall constitute a public nuisance for purposes of this chapter:

A. Maintaining property in violation of the Uniform Housing Code or the Uniform Fire Code;

B. Maintaining or failing to maintain property so as to allow dead, decayed, diseased or hazardous trees, weeds or overgrown vegetation, cultivated or uncultivated, except as otherwise regulated by city Ordinance 92-39;

C. Maintaining or failing to maintain property so as to allow overgrown vegetation or the accumulation of dirt, litter, trash or debris, dead organic matter, garbage, stagnant water, combustible materials and similar materials or conditions that provide a likely habitat for vermin, insects or rodents of any kind, from which foul smells or odors emanate, or which constitute undue fire, health or safety hazards;

Applies to any manufactured good, appliance, fixture, furniture, machinery, vehicle, personal property or any other thing or part thereof, whether of value or valueless, that is demolished, discarded, dismantled, partially dilapidated, or so worn, deteriorated or in such a condition as to be generally unusable and/or inoperable in its existing state.  This shall include by the way of illustration only and without limitation, wood, used lumber, paper, glass, bottles, rags, rubber, scrap metal, tin cans, scrap material, waste , concrete, rubble, boxes, crates, building materials or machinery parts.  If there is no compliance, contractor abatement is ordered after obtaining a Seizure Warrant signed by a Municipal Court Judge.  See “Seizure of Property”.

Applies to vehicles on private property, (for vehicles on public roadways, please call the Lost Hills Sheriff’s Department at 818.878.1808) anywhere on that property, be it front, side or rear.  All vehicles must have a current license plate and be operable or removed from the property or stored within an enclosed building. 

The one exception is a vehicle which is considered an antique (25 years or older), which if it is operable, it does not have to be licensed and it may be stored anywhere on the property.  A person may have one “Collector” or “Parts” vehicle that is not operable, if it is screened from view from any adjacent street, alley or neighboring property and, ONLY, if they have a “like” vehicle.

If there is no compliance, a Seizure Warrant is obtained, signed by a Municipal Court Judge, and the vehicle is towed.


8.16.630 Accumulation of municipal solid waste prohibited.

It is unlawful for any person owning, managing or having the control of any premises or vacant lot or any person occupying a dwelling within the city to permit the accumulation of municipal solid waste and/or recyclable materials to become or remain offensive, unsightly or unsafe to the public health and safety or hazardous from fire, or to deposit, keep or accumulate, or permit or cause any municipal solid waste and/or recyclable materials to be deposited, kept or accumulated upon any property, lot or parcel of land, or any public or private place, street, lane, alley or driveway, except as provided in this chapter. No person occupying, owning or in control of any premises shall permit municipal solid waste and/or recyclable materials to accumulate, or to blow about in a manner which creates an unsightly appearance, safety or a health hazard. It is unlawful for any person to dispose of their municipal solid waste into containers at locations other than those that may be located upon their property which they own, lease, rent or at their own place of business. (Ord. 98-134 § 2 (part), 1998)

8.16.650 Residential municipal solid waste containers and recycling containers--Time of placement.

No residential householder shall place or permit to be placed any municipal solid waste, recyclable material, recycling container, wheeled cart or municipal solid waste container at the place of collection at the residential premises before five-thirty p.m. of the day preceding the scheduled collection. No wheeled cart or recycling container may be left at the place of collection after eight p.m. on the day of collection. (Ord. 98-134 § 2 (part), 1998)

Graffiti violations, if on private property, will be issued a Notice to the owner to remove the graffiti.  If the owner doesn’t take care of it himself, a Citation, with possible fine, and Order to abate will be issued. 

Graffiti on public property will be handed over to the Public Works Department and will be taken care of by the Calabasas Volunteer Patrol.

The Code Enforcement Unit inspects items such as a collapsed ceiling due to a roof leak, raw sewage, no utilities, fire damage, and rodent or insect infestation to name a few.  Dwellings with two or more units are the responsibility of the owner for all pest extermination.  Single family residences, rental or not, become the occupant’s responsibility for extermination; however, on single family residences we also inspect to order the filling of holes and/or cracks that may allow the entry of rodents.

A housing complaint can be taken over the phone.  Upon notification from the occupant, the assigned Code Enforcement Officer will conduct an inspection of the property at a mutually scheduled time.  Any noted violations, at the time of inspection, are referred to the property owner and/or property manager in the form of a Notice and Order requiring abatement of the housing violations within a specified time period.  It is the officer’s discretion on the amount of time allowed for compliance.  It can range from two or three days for a plumbing/sewer leak to thirty days for less hazardous violations.

Please leave a contact telephone number if an appointment must be made with you to conduct an inspection, otherwise the Code Enforcement Officer will respond at his/her earliest convenience.

Unsanitary conditions on the inside of a residential property may cause a Code Enforcement Officer to placard the property as “Unlawful to Occupy”.  If the owner/occupant does not abate the conditions, they may be ordered to vacate the property.

Code Enforcement Officers placard the property as “Unlawful to Occupy”.  We can order a contractor to clean and board up a dwelling on an emergency basis if it is a health or safety hazard, and terminate all or part of utilities to ensure it will not be occupied until the minimum code is met.

Properties can be condemned (Placard) if housing violations constitute a health or safety hazard, such as a roof leak, partial utilities or none at all, raw sewage or from numerous violations, which the owner has not abated, according to the Notice and Order that is sent.



The Calabasas Building & Safety Department


City of Calabasas © 2006